Dumbing Us Down|
The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling
by John Taylor Gatto
In this tenth-anniversary edition, Gatto updates his theories on how the U.S. educational system cranks out students the way Detroit cranks out Buicks. He contends that students are more programmed to conform to economic and social norms rather than really taught to think.
The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook|
A Creative And Stress-Free Approach to Homeschooling
by Dorothy Moore
If you are thinking about homeschooling, or are struggling with a educational homeschooling curriculum that is difficult to use, let Dr. Ray and Dorothy Moore show you how to make homeschooling an easy-to-live-with family adventure in learning. This low-stress, low-cost program shows you how to build a curriculum around your child's needs and interests - and around a realistic family schedule.
Learning All The Time|
by John Holt
This delightful book by the influential author of How Children Fail and How Children Learn shows how children learn to read, write, and count in their everyday life at home and how adults can respect and encourage this wonderful process.
I saw the angel in the marble and I carved until I set him free.
Louisiana Email Lists, Support Groups, Facebook Groups, Associations, Message Boards, Forums and Newsletters
M - Z
- Magnolia Home Educators (Magnolia_Home_Educators) - Welcome Homeschool Families of the extended Acadiana area, Lafayette and surrounding parishes in south-central Louisiana.
Magnolia Home Educators is a secular group open and respectful to the beliefs of all of its members. Here we wish to form a support community, including resource sharing, friendships, planned play dates and fieldtrips. After joining this group please post a short introduction.
You can also find us on Facebook: Magnolia Home Educators Facebook Group.
- To Subscribe, visit Magnolia Home Educators.
- NAS JRB New Orleans Homechoolers Facebook Page - This group is created for Homeschooling families associated with Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans. Please use it to share information, support and encourage one another as we educate our children.
- For more info, visit NAS JRB New Orleans Homechoolers Facebook Page.
- New Orleans Home Educators - New Orleans Home Educators is open to all homeschooling families in the New Orleans area regardless of race, creed, religion, sexual orientation, vaccine status, diet, culture, gender, homeschool approach, curriculum choices or age. We welcome all homeschooling families and children of all ages.
- To Subscribe, visit New Orleans Home Educators.
- New Orleans Homeschool Morning Playgroup Facebook Page - This group provides a supportive outlet for homeschool families to gather at parks on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, currently City Park on Tuesdays at 10 and Confetti Park on Thursdays at 10.
- For more info, visit New Orleans Homeschool Morning Playgroup Facebook Page.
- NOLA Homeschoolers - New Orleans' Most Inclusive Homeschooling Resources.
Welcome to NOLA Homeschoolers, an inclusive community and comprehensive resource directory for current or prospective homeschoolers in the Greater New Orleans area. NOLA Homeschoolers continues to evolve to meet the needs expressed by local homeschooling families. As such, we encourage you to invite others to join our network and hope that you feel free to share information that may be beneficial to others. Many groups exist in the area, but no one place is offering a "file cabinet / bulletin board" for everything. NOLA Homeschoolers aims to do just that and with your help, we can!
Visit our Facebook Group NOLA Homeschoolers Facebook Page
- For more info, visit NOLA Homeschoolers.
- NOLA Learning Odyssey - We are an inclusive homeschool group for families in the Greater New Orleans area. All homeschooling families, as well as families who are considering homeschooling their children, are welcome to attend our weekly meetings, field trips, and park days. There are no dues, no contracts, and no other requirements - we hope you'll join us!
- For more info, visit NOLA Learning Odyssey.
- Northeast Louisiana Christian Homeschool Association - NELCHA (Northeast Louisiana Christian Homeschool Association) is a homeschooling support group and co-op for Christian families in Northeast Louisiana whose members volunteer their God-given talents and abilities to make our organization possible. We are a non-profit corporation registered in the state of Louisiana with an Executive Committee made of elected members of the group.
- For more info, visit Northeast Louisiana Christian Homeschool Association.
- Northeast Louisiana Homeschoolers Facebook Page - This group is open to any and all homeschooling families of Northeast Louisiana who are open-minded and tolerant of those with differing backgrounds and opinions.
- For more info, visit Northeast Louisiana Homeschoolers Facebook Page.
- Northshore Explorers Facebook Page - We are a group of homeschooling families located in Louisiana who enjoy getting out in nature for exercise, learning and friendship. Our group is open to all ages, use your discretion to determine whether a trail or outing is appropriate for your family. Come join us for a hike or field trip. Happy Trails!
- For more info, visit Northshore Explorers Homeschoolers Facebook Page.
- Northshore Home Educators Association - NHEA - The Northshore Home Educators Association exists to support and enrich the home school families of the Norshore in Louisiana. We offer a variety of supplemental activities, however, our primary focus is to glorify God through our home schooling endeavors. As a volunteer run organization NHEA members work together to enhance the home school experiences of their families.
- For more info, visit Northshore Home Educators Association - NHEA.
- ParentPatch Louisiana Homeschool Discussion Board - ParentPatch Louisiana Homeschool is a discussion board for homeschooling and soon-to-be homeschooling families in Louisiana. News, homeschool events, advice, websites of interest, and just about anything that pertains to homeschooling in Louisiana.
- To Subscribe, visit ParentPatch Louisiana Homeschool Discussion Board.
- Roman Catholic Homeschool Association of Louisiana - The Roman Catholic Homeschool Association of Louisiana (RCHAL) is based on the Northshore of New Orleans, primarily in West St. Tammany Parish area. The association was established in the 1990's by Catholic homeschooling families desiring support in their journey.
The RCHAL group has various events scheduled throughout the year for its members, including weekly organized PE, field trips, First Friday picnics, All Saints Celebration, Stations of the Cross during Lent, and many more.
- To learn more, visit Roman Catholic Homeschool Association of Louisiana.
- Ruston Christian Homeschoolers - RCH stands for Ruston Christian Homeschoolers and is a group of families who get together for field trips, moms' nights, family activities, and more. We do have an optional co-op as well, in which some families participate. Applications for the co-op are accepted during the summer for openings in the fall. Our group has a website and a Facebook group and page.
- To learn more, visit Ruston Christian Homeschoolers.
- Shreveport Area Homechoolers Facebook Page - Due to having so many people spaming our group if you want to join please request to join the group and then send me a private message and tell me a little bit about yourself. Wanting to keep our kids safe!!! Thanks so much.
- For more info, visit Shreveport Area Homechoolers Facebook Page.
- Slidell Catholic Homeschoolers - Mary's Slidell Catholic Homeschoolers Organization Of Louisiana
In the School of Mary, we pray to be formed and nourished in Our Blessed Mother's virtues. We want to raise children for the Kingdom of God. We desire to teach and form them in their Catholic Faith, thus helping to form devout Catholic Families. Holiness and Heaven are our goals. In humility and lowliness, we choose our Blessed Mother to be our leader, teacher and guide. May she form us into Holy Families, that we may radiate Christ's Presence for all the world to see.
- To Subscribe, visit Slidell Catholic Homeschoolers.
- Slidell Christian Home Educators Fellowship - SCHEF’s mission is to provide communication and coordination, to make available programs and fellowship, and to build community relations in support of our member-failies in the education of their children.
- To learn more, visit Slidell Christian Home Educators Fellowship.
- Southern Louisiana Homeschoolers Facebook Page - This will be an informational venue for people who homeschool in the southern Louisiana area.
- For more info, visit Southern Louisiana Homeschoolers Facebook Page.
- Southwest Louisiana Christian Home Educators Fellowship - Are you considering homeschooling? Are you looking for fellowship with like-minded families? Do you need help on your journey of training your children? We can help! We believe the most beautiful tapestries are woven one thread at a time. Let us weave you into the homeschooling community of Southwest Louisiana.
- To learn more, visit Southwest Louisiana Christian Home Educators Fellowship.
- St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Homeschool Group (STACH) - Lake Charles.
This list is set-up for all members of the St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Homeschoolers in Lake Charles, La. and the surrounding area of SW Louisiana.
It's purpose and function is to keep its members informed of monthly hs activities, prayer intentions, club meetings, last minute changes, and parish activities. Since we're women (and proud of it), chit-chat is allowed. Prayer intentions and joyful announcements are always welcome.
If you know of a homeschooler in SW Louisiana or someone interested in hsing in Louisiana, invite them to join the group.
- To Subscribe, visit St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Homeschool Group (STACH).
- Westbank Homeschool Organization, Inc.(WHO Inc.) - WHO Inc. is a support group that exists for the purpose of providing service and support to home educators. We support the freedom of all homeschool families. We believe that every family has a legal and constitutional right to home educate in the State of Louisiana. WHO Inc. has Christian values, but is non-denominational.
- To learn more, visit Westbank Homeschool Organization, Inc..
- Wild Azaleas Facebook Page (Northshore) - All are welcome who feel they belong: atheists, agnostics, and folks of any religion seeking secular education for their children and/or secular support with their homeschooling--happy to leave aside promotion of religious beliefs or curriculum. We are based in St. Tammany Parish, but anyone in southern Louisiana/Mississippi who needs a place to get support on their secular homeschooling journey is welcome!
- For more info, visit Wild Azaleas Facebook Page.
Back to A - L of Louisiana
Please notify if your email list, support group, message board, forum or newsletter is not included here or if you see errors.
This is an ongoing project - please check back often for updates.