The Unschooling Handbook|
How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's Classroom
by Mary Griffith
Unschooling, a homeschooling method based on the belief that kids learn best when allowed to pursue their natural curiosities and interests, is practiced by 10 to 15 percent of the estimated 1.5 million homeschoolers in the United States.
The only learning that's mattered is what I got on my own,
doing what I want to do.
~ Richard Bach, Illusions
LeapingFromTheBox.com provides information on the following:
- Unschooling (articles, resources, FAQs)
- Homeschooling Articles - Articles on homeschooling, learning styles, kindergarten, high school, reading, writing, science, math and more!
- Alabama homeschooling (a Alabama Church School Directory, Alabama Homeschool Co-ops, Alabama Support Group Lists, explanation of the Alabama Homeschool laws, Alabama FAQs, Alabama email lists)
- Alabama unschooling - Unschoolers often question if/how they can unschool in Alabama. You can!
- Math Resources and personal reviews.
- Science Articles by Roberta Gibson, entomologist, gardener, and author.
- United States Homeschooling Email Lists, Support Groups, Message Boards, Forums, Newsletters, Facebook Groups
- World Wide Homeschooling Email Lists, Support Groups, Message Boards, Forums, Newsletters, Facebook Groups
You will discover that many of the articles here at LeapingFromTheBox.com support unschooling, or at least a more relaxed, eclectic way of home educating. Also the resources reviewed have been chosen precisely because they worked for my family in our unschooling journey or for other unschooling families that I know.
Subscribe to my LeapingFromtheBox Blog to read my current thoughts, experiences and resource reviews pertaining to unschooling and homeschooling.
Below are a few homeschool sites that I recommend if you are looking for additional information.
Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about unschooling or Alabama homeschooling. Or even if you just want to chat about homeschooling! Thanks for visiting my site!
Recommended Homeschool Sites
- A2Z Home's Cool - Home Education from A to Z. Best site on the web for general homeschool information.
- Learn In Freedom - "This Learn in Freedom site has been providing free information about learning in freedom, taking responsibility for your own learning, for more than seventeen years."
- The Homeschool Mom - Homeschooling is rewarding, fun, challenging, exhausting, and fulfilling, but above all, it is worth the effort. Within THSM you will find encouragement, advice, resources, curriculum reviews, organization tools, and more.
- Homeschool Oasis - First Stop for Starting Out / Burning Out Homeschooling
- Donna Young's Homeschool Resources and Printables - This website is a place on the internet from where you may print homeschool planners, household planners, Calendars, handwriting lessons, printable worksheets or papers for several subjects.
- Design Your Homeschool - Design your unique homeschool approach.
- Learning Abled Kids - While challenges may exist in meeting your child’s educational needs, it is entirely possible to develop a great program to help your child learn in spite of learning disabilities.
- ClickSchooling - ClickSchooling brings you daily recommendations by email for entertaining websites that help your kids learn.
- The Six-Lesson Schoolteacher - A must-read essay by John Taylor Gatto, New York State Teacher of the Year, 1991.
- Certificate of Empowerment - Every homeschoolers should print a copy of this and post it on their refrigerator! Writeen by Sandra Dodd. Be sure to visit the rest of her site!
- Life Without School Community Blog - "An on-line publication and blogging community. We homeschool. We unschool. We live our lives without school." Special Note: This blog is on hiatus for an indefinite period of time. We hope you find the posts here a beneficial resource and send others our way.
Top 5 Homeschool Articles