There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly.
~ Buckminster Fuller
Florida Email Lists, Support Groups, Message Boards, Forums and Newsletters
A - D
- 4Floridahomeschoolers - A place for you to find ideas, encouragement, legal requirements, plan field trips, find areas of interest and all that you need (or can think of) to be provide a rewarding and fulfilling Fla homeschool experience.
- To Subscribe, visit 4Floridahomeschoolers.
- 4H-HomeschoolAdventurers (Home School Adventurers 4H Club) - East Hillsborough County: including (but not limited to) Bloomingdale, Brandon, Mango, Riverview, Seffner, and Valrico Florida .
OPEN REGISTRATION through JANUARY 2007! eMail for forms and info.
4H HomeSchool Adventurers is a large group of home schooling families.
2006 - 2007 Groups currently are: Archery, Cats, Clover Buds, Entomology, Entrepreneurship, Exploring Farm Animals, First Aid, Gardening, Horse, Leadership, Pet Pals, Photography, Rabbit, Rifle, and Sewing. LEADERS needed for: Cooking (boys and girls) and Homemaking
- To Subscribe, visit 4H-HomeschoolAdventurers.
- 4towneshomeschoolers (4 Townes Home Schoolers) - A homeschool support network for families in the Volusia Co., Florida area.
This is a Christian group, however; all are welcome. There are park days, and field trips. Check the links page for some great home school sites.
- To Subscribe, visit 4towneshomeschoolers.
- abc_usa_Florida - EVERYONE* IS WELCOME! (*except someone joining under false pretenses in an attempt to post spam; messages are screened-you'd be wasting your time)
The purpose of this abc_usa group is for learning about the state of Florida. We are a group that shares state information for unit studies, lapbooking, notebooking and general state studies. Please consider joining our abc_usa main group, or any of the other states sites! Come join the fun!
Note: Some of the state sites are still under construction. Volunteer co-moderators will be adding information as much as possible. Members may add information, as well!
Have a blessed day!
Guide to American Flags
- To Subscribe, visit abc_usa_Florida.
- ABCH (Alliance of Bay County Homeschoolers) - Alliance of Bay County Homeschoolers is an internet-based group created to forge an atmosphere of camaraderie among local homeschoolers.
ABCH requires respect for other people's chosen paths and does not endorse any particular religious, political or educational philosophy.
ABCH seeks intelligent, open-minded, forward-thinking homeschoolers who choose to explore educational opportunities for themselves and their children.
ABCH will provide a forum for homeschoolers to connect with others, plan events and activities, and promote knowledge in its members.
ABCH requests member contribution and participation.
- To Subscribe, visit ABCH.
- AdventuresInFloridaHomeschooling - This resource group was founded on the belief that homeschooling is a lifestyle. We provide learning ideas, educational links, classes, homeschooling start-ups, and much more. We also offer a Homeschooling Newspaper where kids and homeschooling parents can post their artwork, poems, stories, articles and home businesses. Adventures in Florida Homeschooling is a portal for home education, we offer inspirational learning ideas and concepts, thematic units, scavenger hunts, web quests and unschooling projects. Our links section, has over 150 educational links listed and Educational web sites are sent out daily. Every homeschooler is welcome to join.
- To Subscribe, visit AdventuresInFloridaHomeschooling.
- All_About_HomeschoolHappeningsinFlorida - Welcome to our friendly online community where you can connect with Florida homeschoolers,and take part in fun and lively discussions, ask questions and share ideas, while making new friends with diverse people from all philosophies and levels of homeschooling experience.
This is an in inclusive list and is made up of unschoolers, eclectic, traditional, Charlotte Mason, Beechick, FLVS, relaxed homeschoolers--oh, there are really too many styles to list here!. There are many ways to homeschool and in our view everyone has to make decisions for their families based on what they think best. We want everyone to feel welcome on this list and to have fun. We want people to find friends and to find support. This is not a debate board on how to homeschool or unschool so please be respectful.
All_About_HomeschoolHappeningsinFlorida welcomes anyone with an interest in homeschooling.
- To Subscribe, visit All_About_HomeschoolHappeningsinFlorida.
- AlternativeHomeschoolEducators (Alternative Homeschool Educators) - We are an all inclusive homeschool group serving Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties.
Alternative Homeschool Educators of South Florida is a group of homeschoolers who believe in respect for all people regardless of homeschooling styles, race, age or religion.
Alternative Homeschool Educators of South Florida offers an online discussion list that includes discussion on all styles of teaching (life learning, unschooling, school at home, eclectic...)useful links, homeschool support from experienced parents, park days, field trips, educational co-ops, Spiral Scouts, and much more.
We enjoy getting together all over Miami, Broward and Palm Beach.
- To Subscribe, visit AlternativeHomeschoolEducators.
- BBHS (Forum for Big Bend HomeSchoolers) - You have found the Big Bend Homeschoolers Discussion List. This list is for open discussion of ALL homeschooling issues. This list is open to ALL homeschoolers in the Big Bend Area of Florida. Please introduce yourself to the group and enjoy the conversation. If you have any questions or concerns about what is being discussed, please feel free to contact the List Owner at email@example.com.
- To Subscribe, visit BBHS.
- BC-gt-HS (B.C. FLorida gifted homeschoolers) - This is a support group in Broward County Florida for gifted Homeschoolers, Unschoolers, relaxed and eclectic schoolers of gifted children! We are in the Coral Springs, Margate and Coconut Creek area. Others are welcome to join but would like members to be primarily be local so we can have get togethers for our older kids, playdates for young ones, field trips and a park day. I hope this list will be very active with homeschooling ideas, field trip ideas or anything related to gifted homeschoolers. It will be lightly moderated (no spam, no flaming, please be respectful of your fellow members). Welcome all!
- To Subscribe, visit BC-gt-HS.
- bhcoop (Brandon Homeschool Cooperative) - Brandon Homeschool Cooperative (BHC) is a fully inclusive group of families that shares resources, ideas, and support for all methods of homeschooling. We have regular activities for children in a wide variety of ages, including park days, field trips, and subject sessions. Parents also enjoy the monthly Parent's Night Out, as well as sessions that provide information and support for homeschooling.
Other activities and benefits include Scholastic book ordering, FPEA and SHEAF membership at the discounted group rate, free membership to LIFE of Florida, and special events.
To be on the Yahoo group, you must be Member of BHC. You can register for membership at Brandon Homeschool Cooperative (BHC). The cost of membership for 2008-2009 is $10.00.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To Subscribe, visit bhcoop.
- BrevardAlternativeHomeschool (Brevard Alternative Homeschool) - Brevard Alternative Homeschool is a support group for Brevard County, Florida Homeschoolers practicing or exploring alternative philosophies such as agnosticism, atheism, humanism, Paganism, Native American spiritualism or Wicca. All others friendly to freethought or alternative philosophies are welcome. The group offers friendship, support, help with secular or alternative curricula, and a forum for discussing issues we may have as non-traditional homeschoolers.
- To Subscribe, visit BrevardAlternativeHomeschool.
- brevardhomeschool (Support for homeschoolers~Brevard Co, FL) - This group is for homeschooling parents in Brevard County, Florida. We offer discussion & support, field trips, announcement of information/events of interest to homeschoolers, book clubs, and exchange of homeschooling material locally. All homeschoolers in Brevard regardless of affiliation are welcome! We are happy to be your primary or secondary support group! Membership is FREE. To join, please send a brief introduction of your family including your homeschooling situation and your city in Brevard County to email@example.com.
See our website at Brevard Homeschool.net.
- To Subscribe, visit brevardhomeschool.
- bridgeshomeschoolers (Bridges Secular Homeschoolers) - Welcome to the homepage for Bridges Secular Homeschoolers! ............ OUR WORK AND PLAY AREA is in the apex of Clay , Duval and St.John's Counties, in Northeast Florida, FROM THE BUCKMAN TO THE SHANDS AND BOTH SIDES OF THE RIVER At home or away we learn, work and play! We are a liberal, spiritually eclectic, open-minded, earth friendly, diverse group of people intentionally raising (or trying to raise!) self-aware, self guided, earth-friendly, responsible free spirits. "MINDS,HEARTS AND PARACHUTES ONLY FUNCTION WHEN OPEN"........ Homeschoolers / Unschoolers / Homelearners of all styles with at least one 'school-age' (5-18 years) child(ren) are welcome. "School Age" is used as only a legal term and in no way is meant to imply an educational or learning philosophy. We seek to explore and share insights, ideas, resources and support from each other and our children. Activities include park days, playdates, Birthday parties for famous people and serendipitous events. Our emphasis is on respect, appreciation, understanding and fun!
- To Subscribe, visit bridgeshomeschoolers.
- CentralFloridasHomeschoolers (My Home for Jesus Christ!) - Welcome to a group of real-life homeschoolers in Central Florida.
Now, I think there is much to learn from the other groups out there, and I myself subscribe to some great ones. Many are even inspiring! But I wanted to meet someone who sometimes homeschools after supper, who often begins her teaching day in pajamas, and who understands that sometimes the TV is a blessed babysitter. If any of that rings a bell, this is the group for you!
We have high standards of excellence. We want our kids to live Godly lives, serving Christ with all they do. We want our kids to be intelligent, capable people. We want so much for them! But we also know that they are going to be homeschooled for over ten years, and there's no great rush to get it done or to do it like everybody else.
If you want to meet a group of women with hearts like yours--then this is your group. If you want to meet homeschoolers who understand that we're not carbon copies of one another, then this is your group, too! And if you want to enjoy meeting some women who know what it's like to wear baby puke on every outfit, we've got a group for you, too!
Join us now and there's one thing you'll always know--you're special to us and we love you!
PS...Read This!!! We are a Christian group, as in Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to salvation, works cannot get us there, and religious ceremonies don't make us any more spiritual. We love the Lord we believe in loving one another as ourselves. This group exists for providing and receiving encouragement. Anything that is deliberately intended to insult someone or bring division will be deleted before it gets to the group. I will exercise my right to cut out anything I deem rude or nasty. I love you ladies! HAVE FUN!
- To Subscribe, visit CentralFloridasHomeschoolers.
- CentralFloridaPreTeens-TeensHomeschoolers (Ctrl Florida Pre Teen/Teen Homeschoolers) - Central Florida's original and only teen homeschool group! This group is for (pre-teens and teens) homeschooling families age 11 and up (11 - 18) living in Central Florida/Orlando mostly covering Seminole and Orange county but all are welcome. If you have younger children as well, you may join however, only your children that are 11 & up can participate. All activities, discussions, field trips, etc. will be geared toward this age group, middle to high school level. This is not a religious group, however all are welcome.
The only requirement to join this group is that your child/children be at least 11 years old to participate. If you have younger homeschoolers as well & have issues with this policy, please do not join this group.
Only membership requests by the parents or guardians of the homeschooling students will be considered/accepted, not by the student him/herself.
NO SPAMMING OR ADVERTISING OF OTHER GROUPS UNLESS PRIOR PERMISSION BY GROUP OWNER IS GRANTED TO DO SO. NO CROSS POSTING AS WELL.
Covering these locations, but not limited to: Seminole county, Orange county, Polk county, Lake county, Orlando, Oviedo, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, Winter Park, Winter Springs, Casselberry, Apopka, Sanford, Kissimmmee, Maitland, Lake Mary, Fern Park, Dr. Phillips, Mt. Dora, Waterford Lakes, West Orlando, East Orlando, North Orlando, South Orlando and many more areas. Wherever there's something "cool" and educational happening, that's where you'll find us!
- To Subscribe, visit CentralFloridaPreTeens-TeensHomeschoolers.
- CFL_HS_HomeSchoolers - This group is for High School age homeschoolers in Central Florida. Group offers a place to discuss classes and curriculum as well as fun field trips, sports activities, community service activities, clubs, study groups and more. Many activities will be open to the entire family while other activities will be specifically for the high school student.
Q: Who can join?
A: All homeschooled students (who are taking classes in grades 9-12 or those who are at least 14 years of age) and their parents are welcome to join this group. Our group is open to all religions and is not religiously affiliated. We do ask that you introduce yourself to the group upon joining.
Q: Where are your activities?
A: In Orange County and Seminole County to include (but not limited to) Orlando, Oviedo, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, Waterford Lakes, Casselberry, Apopka and Sanford.
No spamming, flaming or sales ads (of any kind) allowed except those approved, in advance, by the moderators. Curriculum for sale is the only allowed "for sale" post in this group.
- To Subscribe, visit CFL_HS_HomeSchoolers.
- ChoiceEmail (Charlotte Harbor Org. of Ind. Child Ed.) - Homeschool discussion for families in Charlotte County Florida Area
- To Subscribe, visit Charlotte Harbor Org. of Ind. Child Ed..
- Christian_HomeschoolHappeningsinFlorida - Christian_HomeschoolHappeningsinFlorida is open to all Christian families in the state that are homeschooling their children and looking for fun family events to go to. Christian_HomeschoolHappeningsinFlorida functions primarily as a calendar/bulletin board group for activites throughout the state of Florida for our individual members Florida support group owners to share with each other. Second, as we increase membership in more counties, we will also increase helping new homeschoolers and relocated homeschoolers find support groups in their area strengthen homeschooling throughout the state of Florida. It is a benefit to spread the word of this group. We will only be as good as the participation of our members to post events and list their support groups for other homeschoolers to find. This is not a "chat" group, but it is an event/informational sharing group. Rebecca Miller.
- To Subscribe, visit Christian_HomeschoolHappeningsinFlorida.
- Christian Homeschool Support of the Western Communities (CHS) - Palm Beach County. Monthly parent meetings, seasonal parties, a co-op, field trips and so on.
For more information, visit Christian Homeschool Support of the Western Communities (CHS).
- To Subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 561-753-4750, or send snail mail to Christian Homeschool Support of the Western Communities, P.O. Box 901, Loxahatchee, FL 33470.
- CMBigBend (CM - Big Bend Area) - For homeschoolers in the Big Bend area (Leon, Gadsden, Jefferson & Wakulla counties)in Florida who are using Charlotte Mason's methods of education, and especially (but not limited to) those using the Ambleside Online Curriculum (Ambleside Online ).
- To Subscribe, visit CMBigBend.
- CMHomeschools (CM Homeschools) - CM Homeschools is a local support group of Charlotte Mason Homeschoolers which meets in the NW FL area. This group is only open to the local members in our support group area. Moderator approval MUST be obtained before joining this group.
- To Subscribe, visit CMHomeschools.
- CornerstoneCHS (Cornerstone Christian HomeSchoolers) - The purpose of this email-loop is to foster a closer connection among the members of the Cornerstone Christian HomeSchoolers Support Group. SE Orlando, FL
- To help us to get to know each other better and foster an "extended family" atmosphere among our members.
- To provide support to our members who for various reasons are not able to come to many group functions.
- To provide reminders of scheduled activities.
- To announce short notice educational opportunities.
- Allow us a place to buy/sell/borrow curriculum among the group.
Do NOT send chain letters, cute stories, sad stories etc to the loop/list!!!
- To Subscribe, visit CornerstoneCHS.
- CtrlFlaHomeschoolers - Central Florida Homeschoolers
Use this list to:
- Invite other homeschoolers to your special events.
- Share money savers, such as the Florida Fun Card at Sea World.
- Share suggestions for great places to visit in Central Florida.
- Ask questions about homeschooling. Please be aware, this list and the people on it are only giving you information to the best of their knowledge. Legal questions should be reffered to the proper organization.
- Offer tips and advice you think other homeschoolers would be interested in.
- Need a violin teacher? or maybe a landscaper? You can ask that too. You may be able to help another family in the group who provides that service!
Please do not ask about selling or wanting to buy any goods.
We have a great group of families which over the past six years have shared lots of great events and offers. This list honors Christian values but people of all faiths and beliefs are welcomed here. Occasionally, you may see an opportunity of interest to Christians but these are few. If a particular email does not fit your family's values, I hope you will delete it but stick with us! We want you here!!
- To Subscribe, visit CtrlFlaHomeschoolers.
- DFSCH (DeFunSprings Christian Homeschoolers) - DeFunSprings Christian Homeschoolers is a group which exists to provide activities, support, encouragement, information, educational experiences, and fellowship for homeschooling families in DeFuniak Springs and all surrounding areas. The group shares an interest in socializing our children of all ages, including infants & toddlers to high school-aged students in order to provide a well-rounded social spectrum, as such interaction is beneficial to both the younger children and the older students. . . _____________________________________________________________
*** For CALENDAR OF EVENTS in Walton County and surrounding areas, go to: WaltonCoFLHomeschoolers ***
- To Subscribe, visit DFSCH.
- Dual_Enrolled_Florida_Homeschoolers - This is an all-inclusive group for homeschooling families in the state in the state of Florida to discuss all aspects of dual enrollment for homeschooling children.
Do you have children that are dual enrolled in the local community college? Are you thinking of dual enrollment for your child/ren?
Join this group where you can ask questions, share your experiences and help others to find the answers that have to do with dual enrolling homeschooled kids in college.
Other groups that may be of interested are:
Florida Homeschoolers Using Public School Activities or Sports
- To Subscribe, visit Dual_Enrolled_Florida_Homeschoolers .
On to E - G of Florida
Please notify if your email list, support group, message board, forum or newsletter is not included here or if you see errors.
This is an ongoing project - please check back often for updates.
|S Is For Sunshine|
A Florida Alphabet
by Carol Crane
| S is for Sunshine is not an ordinary alphabet book. It's a unique alphabet book of the Sunshine State...Florida. What makes it unique are not the beautiful, pastel-colored illustrations by Michael Glenn Monroe, but the combination of narrative and expository passages for each letter of the alphabet.
| Vanishing Florida|
A Personal Guide to Sights Rarely Seen
by David T. Warner
| For most people, today's Florida means palm trees, beaches and a big Mouse, but there's another, more timeless Florida; of century old inns with winding staircases and elaborate gardens; of forests of live oak, pine, and palmetto, where the only sounds to be heard are the crickets and the wind.
|The Teenage Liberation Handbook|
How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education
by Grace Llewellyn
|For everyone who has ever gone to school or is interested in the current national debate over educational reforms, but it is especially relevant for teenagers and the parents or caregivers of teens.
| Priceless Florida |
Natural Ecosystems and Natives Species
by Eleanor Noss Whitney, et. al.
| The authors enlighten us on every kind of natural area found within the Sunshine State. Imagine yourself trekking into a hammock, slogging through a swamp, floating down a river, strolling along a beach, hovering over a coral reef, or probing the depths of an underwater cave.
| Dumbing Us Down |
The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling
by John Taylor Gatto
| In this tenth-anniversary edition, Gatto updates his theories on how the U.S. educational system cranks out students the way Detroit cranks out Buicks. He contends that students are more programmed to conform to economic and social norms rather than really taught to think.
| Florida Wild Flowers and Roadside Plants
by C. Ritchie; Taylor, Bryan J. Bell
| A beautiful book, with 500 full-color photographs and a scientific, yet understandable, way of describing exactly what was what...cultivates appreciation for backyard blooming things.
| The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook|
A Creative And Stress-Free Approach to Homeschooling
by Dorothy Moore
| If you are thinking about homeschooling, or are struggling with a educational homeschooling curriculum that is difficult to use, let Dr. Ray and Dorothy Moore show you how to make homeschooling an easy-to-live-with family adventure in learning. This low-stress, low-cost program shows you how to build a curriculum around your child's needs and interests - and around a realistic family schedule.
| Florida (Hello USA series)
by Karen Sirvaitis
| Introduces the geography, history, environment, famous people, occupations, and culture of the Sunshine State.
| Visiting Small Town Florida
by Bruce Hunt
| Take a road trip around the Sunshine State with Bruce Hunt as he visits 70 of Florida’s most charming, historic, and often eclectic small towns—places with names like Sopchoppy, Ozello, and Two Egg. Tour historic districts, museums, galleries, antiques shops, and great local eateries.
| The Way They Learn |
by Cynthia Ulrich Tobias
| 'The Way They Learn' is an excellent book on the learning styles of all children AND adults. It is written so that parents can understand it and begin to identify and search out the strengths of both their children and themselves.
| Florida Butterfly Caterpillars and Their Host Plants
by Marc C. Minno
| Because of Florida's mild climate and diversity of plants, caterpillars thrive in abundance in the state. Florida's butterfly fauna consist of temperate species from eastern North America, tropical species from the Caribbean region (including 11 species of exotics that have become established over the last 100 years), and unique races that are found nowhere else.
| How Children Learn |
by John Holt
| John Holt was the first to make clear that, for small children, “learning is as natural as breathing.” In this delightful yet profound book, he looks at how we learn to talk, to read, to count, and to reason, and how we can nurture and encourage these natural abilities in our children.
| Florida’s Living Beaches |
A Guide for the Curious Beachcomber
by Witherington; Dawn and Blair
| Florida has 1200 miles of coastline, almost 700 miles of which are sandy beaches. Exploring along those beaches offers encounters with myriads of plants, animals, minerals, and manmade objects all are covered in this comprehensive guide.
|Better Late Than Early|
A New Approach to Your Child’s Education
by Raymond S. Moore
| Raymond & Dorothy Moore spent years investigating the results of early education. They examined other studies and did their own studies. They found that in the early years, up to somewhere around ages 8 to 10, it is best for children to be at home in a loving and supportive environment. They found that children who are kept home until they are ready for school quickly catch up with the early starters.