Dumbing Us Down|
The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling
by John Taylor Gatto
In this tenth-anniversary edition, Gatto updates his theories on how the U.S. educational system cranks out students the way Detroit cranks out Buicks. He contends that students are more programmed to conform to economic and social norms rather than really taught to think.
The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook|
A Creative And Stress-Free Approach to Homeschooling
by Dorothy Moore
If you are thinking about homeschooling, or are struggling with a educational homeschooling curriculum that is difficult to use, let Dr. Ray and Dorothy Moore show you how to make homeschooling an easy-to-live-with family adventure in learning. This low-stress, low-cost program shows you how to build a curriculum around your child's needs and interests - and around a realistic family schedule.
Learning All The Time|
by John Holt
This delightful book by the influential author of How Children Fail and How Children Learn shows how children learn to read, write, and count in their everyday life at home and how adults can respect and encourage this wonderful process.
I saw the angel in the marble and I carved until I set him free.
Mississippi Email Lists, Support Groups, Facebook Groups, Associations, Message Boards, Forums and Newsletters
A - K
- Central Baptist Homeschool Group Facebook Page - Philadelphia, Mississippi. Homeschool Group out of Central Baptist Church and Central Baptist School.
- For more information, visit Central Baptist Homeschool Group Facebook Page.
- Christian Home Educators Connection (CHEC) - CHEC's purpose is to support and encourage home educators by providing information and opportunities, educational and social. CHEC is a Christian, non-profit organization. Membership is open to all those wishing to home school their children in an environment of Christian principles applied to cooperatively to enhance home education.
- For more information, visit Christian Home Educators Connection (CHEC).
- Christian Home Educators in Lowndes County - We are a group of about 40 Christian homeschool families primarily from, but not limited to, Lowndes County.
- For more information, visit Christian Home Educators in Lowndes County.
- Christian Home Educators of Hattiesburg - We are a support group of Christian homeschoolers whose goal it is to provide spiritual and emotional support as well as enriching ministry, academic and recreational activities to member families.
- For more information, visit Christian Home Educators of Hattiesburg.
- Christian Home Educators of Northeast Mississippi (CHENM) - CHENM, the Christian Home Educators of Northeast Mississippi, is a private organization that was created to help Northeast Mississippi home school families in their quest to “Raise their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” We are a loose association of Christians who have bound together for the common cause of educating our children.
- For more information, visit Christian Home Educators of Northeast Mississippi.
- Christian Homeschoolers of South Mississippi Facebook Page - I am setting up this group to give each of us opportunities to interact, organize group activities, and help and encourage each other to be successful in our homeschooling endeavors, but also in our personal relationships we have with Jesus as He is the One who gives us the wisdom and ability to teach our kids. :) I want to keep the group closed and there will not be any fees to join this group. I just want to use it as a means to communicate and make more opportunities for fellowship. Please utilize the group to do just that and let's enjoy our homeschooling adventures.
- To Subscribe, visit Christian Homeschoolers of South Mississippi Facebook page.
- Coast Christian Home Educators Association (CCHEA) - CCHEA typically serves homeschooling families in and around Harrison County. Those families bring years of experience in homeschooling, serving God, successful parenting and healthy marriages. They are eager to help you succeed in this journey.
- For more information, visit Coast Christian Home Educators Association.
- Eagle Homeschool Association - Christian home school group in Corinth, offering classes for homeschoolers.
- For more information, visit Eagle Homeschool Association.
- Excelsior Classical Christian Community (Tupelo) - Excelsior Classical Christian Community is a community of like-minded believers educating our children in the classical tradition of our forebears. Begun by several homeschooling families in Tupelo, Mississippi, we opened our doors for tutorials in 2001. We study not only the subjects of the classical “trivium” (grammar, logic & rhetoric), but utilize these methods as well.
- For more information, visit Excelsior Classical Christian Community.
- Fellowship of Christian Home Educators, of North Mississippi (FOCHE) - The original and ongoing purpose of the Fellowship of Christian Home Educators (FOCHE) is to promote quality home education by providing Christian support and encouragement to mothers educating their children at home.
- For more information, visit Fellowship of Christian Home Educators, of North Mississippi.
- Florence-Richland Homeschool Group - We are a Christian-based, member-led homeschool group. We are physical homeschool support group-- not an online group. You must attend one event or park day before being added to the group membership. We offer a variety of annual events, field trips and learning opportunities for our members.
- For more information, visit Florence-Richland Homeschool Group.
- Grenada Christian Homeschoolers - We are a Christian Homeschool support group dedicated first and foremost to quality education for our children in a family enviroment. Our purpose is to support and encourage homeschooling families in Grenada and the surrounding areas, as they seek God's will in training and educting their children (Psalms 127:3-4). We serve families residing in Grenada, Calhoun, Carroll, Leflore, Montgomery, Tallahatchie, or Yalobusha counties in the state of Mississippi.
We have a vision to support one another on our educational journey and invite you to join us. We desire to provide a platform where families choosing to homeschool can find guidance, information, and organizational help in their journey. It is also our desire to provide support, have fellowship, facilitate social activities, field trips, and other educational activities for our families.
- For more information, visit Grenada Christian Homeschoolers.
- Gulf Coast Charity (Catholic Homeschool Association Religiously Inspired Through Yahweh) - The mission of Gulf Coast Charity (Catholic Homeschool Association Religiously Inspired Through Yahweh) is to provide support to Catholic home schooling families living on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and to promote the use of Catholic curriculum. Charity is open to all home schooling families. Functions will be oriented toward the Roman Catholic tradition. Member families are added to the list after completing and returning the Charity membership form.
- To Subscribe, visit Gulf Coast Charity.
- HEARTS (Home Educating And Ready To Serve) - HEARTS, a Christian homeschool support group, has been established to foster relationships between like-minded families.
We want to WELCOME all homeschooling or potential homeschool families to our HEARTS support group page! Our goal will be to develop relationships with each other and to provide a Christian environment for all homeschooling families! We are very EXCITED about this opportunity that God has given us to SERVE with other families!!
Visit our HEARTS Homeschool Support Group Facebook page
- For more information, visit HEARTS.
- Homeschool Middles/High Schoolers Facebook Page - A homeschool group created for MIDDLE/HIGH Schoolers in Pearl River County.
- To learn more, visit Homeschool Middles/High Schoolers Facebook page.
- Homeschoolers of South Mississippi Facebook Page - This group is for parents of homeschoolers of south Mississippi to share ideas, setup play dates, group field trips, or just be moral support. We are not an official group, just a page where people can network with other homeschoolers in their area.
- To learn more, visit Homeschoolers of South Mississippi Facebook page.
- Independent School of Thought - Home School meets private school at Independent School of Thought for students PRE K - 12
Independent School of Thought is an alternative to traditional public and private schools. The school focuses on teaching students to find their own unique talents and interests so that they may use them to create a better future for our world. Its curricula are designed to enrich students with experience and knowledge from as many diverse fields of study as possible. Students use discovery methods for learning which enhance creative thought and retention.
- For more information, visit Independent School of Thought.
- Jackson Metro Homeschool Social (JMHS) Facebook Page - Homeschool families living in the Jackson, Mississippi metropolitan area join together for weekly park days, field trips, luncheons, game days, group classes, seasonal parties and other fun social learning activities. You must be a homeschool parent to Join! You must be a member of this group to participate in our extension groups!
- For more information, visit Jackson Metro Homeschool Social (JMHS) Facebook page.
- Jackson Classical Homeschool Program - Jackson Classical is a two day homeschool program that offers both experienced, academic counseling for homeschooling parents and enrichment classes for children in one convenient location. It’s a program where you will find parents are the primary influence in their child’s life. Jackson Classical program comes along side your homeschooling efforts and helps strengthen your homeschool experience, so you can go the distance.
- For more information, visit Jackson Classical Homeschool Program.
On to L - Z of Mississippi
Please notify if your email list, support group, Facebook group, associations, message board, forum or newsletter is not included here or if you see errors.
This is an ongoing project - please check back often for updates.