The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hope Christian School
Telephone: 205-664-2232 (FAX: 205-663-0287)
Administrator's Name: Connie Atchison, contact Dawn Burchfield, Office Manager for application information
Website URL: Hope Christian School
Mailing Address: Post Office Box 1743, Pelham, AL 35124
Location: 419 Philippians Blvd., Pelham, AL 35124 - 13 miles South of Birmingham
Office hours (for phone contact): Tuesdays 1:00 pm -4:30 pm; Wednesday thru Friday 10:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Sponsoring church: Hope Church of Pelham
Enrollment area: Statewide - primarily the following counties: Blount, Clay, Chilton, Cullman, Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, Talladega, Tuscaloosa, & Walker County
Statement of Faith: Required
HSLDA: strongly recommended
General description (or Mission Statement): Hope Christian School is both an administrative overseer (conventional school) and an enabler (home education). Hope is a ministry designed to serve the needs of the home. In this way, Hope offers families the accountability and structure of a private school, while insuring parents the influence of a home education format.
- Attend 3 meetings with the HCS Administrative Staff during the school year.
- 175 days of schooling - 3 to 4 hours of on task work per day, depending on age and grade level.
- A lesson plan book would need to be kept, which is checked in January at the required meetings.
- Report cards are turned in 4 times per year, a template is provided (electronic versions available as well).
- A transcript for High School students must be turned in by January 10th (1st Semester) and by June 10th (Second Semester/Final).
- Parents of a High School Senior are required to attend a Senior meeting the year their child graduates.
Fees: For the 2013/2014 School Year - Registration $65.00 before June 1st, $75.00 between June 2nd & July 31st, $85.00 August 1st or later
Services: Each family is placed in a "support group" located in their area. Each group has a leader and an assistant and they coordinate group activities. We also offer school wide activities that are available to enrolled students.
Some of these activities include:
- Annual Convention with Vendor Hall & Book Sale
- Workshops/ training seminars (i.e. High School & Scholarship)
- Annual standardized testing offered
- PLAN (pre-ACT for 10th grade students)
- PSAT (pre-SAT for 11th grade students)
- EXPLORE TEST (pre-ACT for 7th - 9th grades)
- Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
- Report Card & Transcript Templates for submission
- Graduation Ceremonies/Diplomas
- Valedictorian/Salutatorian Honors/Leadership Awards
- The provision of official transcripts for scholarships and college application.
- Communication, Newsletters and updates via E-Mail, Facebook, Twitter & HCS Blog
Following are a few of the activities HCS currently offers:
- Art Classes (Art Elective)
- Self-Reliance/Back to Basics Monthly Seminars (Home Economics)
- Clubs: 4-H Club, Astronomy Club, Rocket Club, Chess Club, Jr. & Sr. Beta Clubs, Christian Honor Society, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Key Club, Student Government Association & Teen Eagle
- Children's Theatre & Wee Folks Group Tickets Available
- Craft Classes (Home Economics)
- Drama & Theatre Workshops & Annual Play
- Elementary Orchestra
- Geography Bee (State & National Competition)
- High School Labs (Physical Science, Chemistry, Biology Dissection & Photography)
- Homeschool Band
- Pizza Hut/ Book It Program
- Presidential Awards Available: Presidential Active Lifestyle Award, Presidential Volunteer Service Award, Presidential Outstanding Academic Achievement, Presidential Outstanding Academic Excellence, Citizenship Award
- Senior Memory Book publication
- Sewing Classes (Home Economics)
- Alabaster Tutorial Sponsored High School Co-op Classes (alabastertutorial.com)
- Sports Programs: Football, JV & Varsity Boy’s and Girl’s Basketball, Girl's Volleyball, Girl's Softball, Baseball, Track, Tennis, Girl's Soccer and JV & Varsity Cheerleading
35,000 Square Foot Building with the following classrooms:
- Library: Curriculum to review or to purchase (used books); books to check out
- Audio Visual/Photography: Filming and Photography
- Art: Oil Painting, Drawing, Ceramics
- Music: Orchestra
- Life Sciences (Origins, Biology, Anatomy, Marine, etc.)
- Physical Sciences (Physical, Chemistry, Earth, etc.)
- Home Economics/Crafts (Sewing, Quilting, Needlework, etc.
- 3 General Classrooms/Club Rooms: 2 small, 1 large
Other rooms in the facilities:
- Large Fellowship Hall
- Full Kitchen for Cooking & Canning Classes
- Auditorium (holds 300)
- Nursery and 4 Staff Offices
The above activities vary from year to year depending upon the support and participation of the parents in these activities. *Some of the above services and activities have a fee associated with participation in them.
Additional Info: For a Policies & Procedures Handbook, approved curriculum list, & request for application, please contact Dawn @ email@example.com or visit the "Fees & Services" page of our website @ Hope Christian Academy.
Information here last verified on 08/19/13.
The church school listed here provided LeapingFromTheBox.com with this description. Should you have questions about this church school, please use the contact information in the above description. If you discover that the contact information is no longer valid, please e-mail LeapingFromTheBox.com at firstname.lastname@example.org. No permission is given to use this description elsewhere. Please contact the individual church school if you wish to use their description for your own personal web site or publication.
LeapingFromTheBox.com does not endorse any church school. Inclusion here is solely for informational purposes.
LeapingFromTheBox.com urges those searching for a church school to familiarize themselves with the laws governing church schools in Alabama (since we "homeschool" under the church school laws, rather than a homeschool law in Alabama). You can read those laws here:
Search results from both LeapingFromTheBox and blogs
|100 Top Picks For Homeschool Curriculum|
Choosing The Right Curriculum And Approach For Your Child’s Learning
by Cathy Duffy
| The key to successful home education, homeschool veterans will tell you, is determining your educational philosophy and marrying it to your child’s learning style. Then you can make an informed decision in choosing the right educational curriculum for the child. This is the formula for success. In 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum, homeschool guru Cathy Duffy can help you accomplish these critical tasks. Cathy will give you her top choices from every subject area, approaching everything through a Christian worldview perspective.