We find comfort among those who agree with us
- growth among those who don't.
~ Frank A. Clark
District of Columbia Email Lists, Support Groups, Message Boards, Forums and Newsletters
- BWAAH (Baltimore-Washington African American Homeschoolers) - Welcome to Baltimore-Washington African American Homeschoolers. This group was created for African American homeschoolers in and around the Baltimore/Washington DC/Northern VA area to connect with one another. This is a central place where members of various support groups and/or individual homeschoolers in the area can learn from and help each other.
Please feel free to post events in the area, as well as curriculum ideas. This is an inclusive group, which means we welcome all homeschoolers regardless of method or religion.
We ask that members do not use this group to advertise or promote any business opportunities, no matter how well meaning they may seem (links in your signature are fine).
Please post an introduction when you join so that the other members may get to know you. Again, welcome to the group!
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BWAAH/.
- BWHE - This list is designed for Baltimore-Washington-Northern Virginia homeschoolers as on-line community for open-minded homeschoolers in the region who are interested in participating in a community that represents a diverse range of religious, political and philosophical beliefs. Our community also represents a wide range of ethnic groups, education levels, and socio-economic classes. The one thing we have in common is an interest in trying to do what is best for our children and our family.
While we welcome all homeschoolers, we request that you respect the diversity of this group. This means that posts designed to promote a particular religious or political agenda are prohibited. Our intent is to provide a community where members can feel free to share homeschooling ideas and resources, ask questions and find encouragement and positive attitudes! Please save political or religious messages for private e-mail exchanges or for other lists specifically created for debating such topics.
All potential members must identify themselves before they can participate in this group. The information will not be made available to anyone other than the list moderator, and will not be used for any marketing purposes. We ask that you provide this information as a screening process so we can be assured that you are a person interested in homeschooling and not someone who wants to join the list just to advertise, stir up debates, promote a political agenda, or promote a religious agenda.
You are eligible to join BWHE if:
- You are homeschooling or considering homeschooling in Maryland or surrounding areas, and
- You agree to abide by the guidelines of BWHE, which require respect and tolerance for other members and prohibit using the list for advertising or to promote a particular religious or political agenda.
Please check http://www.iqcweb.com/bwhe/FAQ.htm before contacting the moderator with questions.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BWHE/.
- BWHomeEdTeens - A list for home educated teens and alumni in the Baltimore/Washington area. A place for sharing experiences, meeting friends, and setting up events for the teens in our area. Alumni, please feel free to join in and share your memories of BWHETeens and please share your experiences post graduation.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BWHomeEdTeens/.
- cultureathome (Culture at Home) - Culture at Home is an African American homeschool support group in the Washington D.C., Maryland and Virginia area with an emphasis on the older homeschooled student. Culture at Home is a support group for families concerned with the healthy well-being and academic guidance of the African-American child. The purpose of this group is to provide an educational outreach support program and to supplement the curriculum of homeschoolers with children ages 10-18 (grades 5-12).
Rising Words, Rising Images is an important "Culture at Home" monthly book discussion group for young people ages 9 to 14. It is a creative introduction to the great diversity that exists in our nation, which will help children view the world more openly. This discussion group is dedicated to teaching children to value diversity and to grow into productive, caring citizens of a global society. Rising Words, Rising Images also seeks to advance the dignity of young people around the world. Through reading questions, guest speakers, craft projects, music and other related activities, we are teaching the importance of diversity, tolerance and promoting mutual respect among all. We emphasize excellence in literacy by offering this monthly reading group for ages 8-12, a children's internet bookclub for ages 6-18, participation in the Annual African American Read-In, plus tour guided fieldtrips, free books, study abroad programs, discounted performances in the Arts, tutorial information and museum outreach. Parental resources and information will also be provided to supplement and direct your homeschool experiences. Our vision is that both the parent/teacher and the child/student are lifelong learners. We are not a chat group.
"Home schooling as well as the formation of progressive private schools that educate for critical consciousness are important alternatives for black males." Bell Hooks
Pier Penic, Director and Founder
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cultureathome/.
- DC_community_learning_network (DC Community Learning Network) - The DC Community Learning Network is an inclusive online resource for families choosing an alternative educational path for their school-age children. Use this space to ask questions, build community, share your skills, plan activities and make new friends.
You must be a member of DCCLN to view or post messages.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DC_community_learning_network/.
- EnchantingInk_HomeschoolCo-Op (Sci-Fi/Fiction/Fantasy& Myth Lover's HS) - A diverse Homeschooling Cooperative for those families that love all things Fiction: Science Fiction (Especially Star Wars!!!), Fantasy, Magic & Myths,Time Travel, Animal heroes, plus those Fiction serials that we all love... like the Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, and so on all the way to The Dragon Slayers' Academy, & the Magic Tree House books.
These are the stories that capture our minds & hearts and deserve a place in our Homeschooing Curriculums. This site is for parents to swap ideas on how to use these topics in homeschooling making "school"fun for all of us. We will be creating a collective pool of information to pull from and creating a unique group of friends.
Local members(near Andrew's Air Force Base,MD)-So Southern MD, DC & Upper Eastern VA is close) can get together for fieldtrips & playdates, while the non-local (virtual) members can link up with us for online (via live chat) book discussion groups -for both kids & adults. Books will be selected ahead of time (by poll) & members can post activities & downloads prior to discussion date for everyone to enjoy. The youngest ones can have their books read to them or via audio books to be prepared for their discussion group.
Polls will be posted frequently (please send poll ideas to the Owner), email Craft Project ideas, post Dioramas pics or ideas, share Recipe & Party ideas that go with our Favorite Fictional themes, favorite book lists and authors (for the kids & the adults), plus favorite movies. We would also like to include stuff about gaming (board, card, and video), Anime, Animation, comic books, & of course cartoons.
We see a big gap in the homeschooling community in utilizing Science Fiction and Fantasy as a legitimate theme for homeschooling curriculums. We mean to fill that gap and ask you to join us. May the Force be with you! Or is it... Come to the Dark Side and buck conventional homeschooling with us? Which ever appeals, so grab your sense of humor and join us.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EnchantingInk_HomeschoolCo-Op/.
- HHCPL (Homeschoolers and the Howard County Library) - This email list will provide a way for the Howard County Public Library (Maryland) to communicate library information to area homeschoolers. To minimize email volume, it is tentatively planned that this will be an announcements list, not a discussion list, with the subject strictly limited to Howard County Library issues. It is also planned that communication will be one-way: i.e., from the Library to homeschoolers. Messages will be moderated to ensure this. Archives of messages posted on the list are PUBLIC. Membership on this list is particularly appropriate for homeschoolers who are newsletter editors or e-list moderators for their homeschool groups, but all area homeschoolers are welcome, as are Howard County Library staff. Homeschoolers are encouraged to disseminate information received from this list to their various homeschool groups.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HHCPL/.
- Holy-Family-Homeschool-Group-of-Northern-Virginia (Holy Family Homeschool Group) - Holy Family Homeschool Group of Northern Virginia is a support group for families who choose to educate their children at home in Northern Virginia (a suburban area of Washington, DC). We originated in the Springfield-Franconia area (which continues to serve as our hub of operation) and have grown to include members from Annandale, Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax, Lorton, Ft. Belvoir, Dumfries and beyond.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Holy-Family-Homeschool-Group-of-Northern-Virginia/.
- HomeschoolActivitiesMetroDC (HomeschoolActivities-VA-DC-MD) - WELCOME! We are a clearinghouse for activities, events and field trips for homeschool families and visitors to the Washington, D.C., metro area including Maryland and Virginia suburbs as well as points far beyond. Members are welcome to post homeschool activities, but this is not a discussion board. Please be respectful of differences in homeschooling methods, political and religious beliefs.
We are: Megan Casey, group owner, and Grace Sanchez, friend and co-moderator. I arrange field trips for elementary, middle and high school aged homeschool students, and Grace organizes events and activities for pre-K through 1st grades.
In the summer of 2006, I decided that I wanted to attend more field trips with my own children, and quickly found that many of the most interesting trips were only open to groups. So, I started booking space, and planning field trips.
Shortly thereafter, I teamed up with Grace, and from there, our field trips have made homeschool lists as far as Delaware and West Virginia! We then decided that creating our own group might be helpful to include a larger geographic database as well as more homeschool activities. Regardless of where you live, feel free to join or post activities.
Click on the Calendar option to your left to get an overview of upcoming events.
Want to make sure that you are signed up for an event? Click on, "Database" to your left and view master participant lists for field trips. The total number next to each name includes adults and children. Max 10 databases: we add and delete databases as events occur.
We look forward to seeing many fellow homeschoolers at these activities and events!
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeschoolActivitiesMetroDC/.
- homeschoolresources - Welcome to the Homeschool Resource Yahoo group. This group is set up to inform all homeschoolers about local and current events that are happening in your area or surrounding areas in the state of VA, Maryland and DC.
This information is to help you in choosing activities, events and other things for yourself and your children. The main purpose of this yahoo group is to network and let others know about certain events, upcoming shows, classes and other things pertaining to homeschooling.
Disclaimer: This is an open group for everyone regardless of religion, if something does not pertain to you please delete it.
You are welcome to join and we would appreciate any info. that you would like to share with everyone about events that you know about. So pass the word around to others and tell them about this group and lets make this a wonderful resource of information and activities for us all.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschoolresources/.
- JBAB Home Educators Facebook Page - JBAB Home Educators is an inclusive group of military homeschoolers on Joint Base Anacostia Bolling in Washington, DC, serving DC area homeschoolers.
- To learn more, visit JBAB Home Educators Facebook Page.
- JHS_MDDC (Jewish Home Schoolers of MD, & DC area) - This list is meant to be a forum to allow Jewish home schoolers in Maryland, DC,and nearby areas to keep in touch and plan activiites. Although there are national email lists for Jewish home schoolers this is a local group and I hope will focus on the specific area we live in.
Please be aware that many on this list are supporters of Israel and political discussions of the situation in Israel will occur, as will suggestions for supportive actions that may be taken by families and individuals.
Before you are accepted for membership I will need to know your real name, address and phone number. This is for our own protection as we are meeting each other through our different activities. This information will be confidential and kept only on my home computer,not the yahoo database.
This list is open to Jews of all levels of observance interested in home schooling their children.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JHS_MDDC/.
- MD_DC_VA_Educators (TeachersFamilyHomeschooling Activities) - Teachers, Family and Homeschooling Activities is a clearinghouse for activities, events and field trips for homeschool families in the Washington, D.C., metro area including Maryland and Virginia suburbs. There are lists of links and places to visit with your own family. Please be respectful of differences in homeschooling methods, political and religious beliefs.
This site hopefully will help those especially in the military who are moving into Maryland (MD), Virginia (VA), Washington DC (DC) and are consider homeschooling for the first time or have been homeschooling for years. Please share your vast knowledge of information with others about activities and educational links.
This was setup for those who wanted different field trips ideas, visit more places, research new ideas and links for homeschooling or teaching.
That is the reason why this site is free and everyone is allowed to post anything that could be used for homeschooling or educational purposes. Thanks. James email@example.com
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MD_DC_VA_Educators/.
- MetroDC_Waldorfhomeschoolers (Metro DC Waldorf Homeschoolers) - This yahoo group is for all Metro DC area Waldorf Homeschoolers and Interested Parents. On this site we can post special events, send out inquiries, and keep in touch with our regional fellow Waldorf Homeschoolers and other parents interested in Waldorf homelife.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MetroDC_Waldorfhomeschoolers/.
- MHEM (Muslim Home Educators of Maryland) - A support group for Muslim families who homeschool and reside in the Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area. Inclusion on this list is by approval of the moderators.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MHEM/.
- novaunpreschoolers (NoVa Un(pre)schoolers) - This group was established in order to provide support, encouragement, and fun for parents in the NoVa/DC metro area who are interested in unschooling, but whose baby/child is not yet "school-aged." There is a great local group called Nova Unschoolers, and I am *NOT* trying to replace that group, but rather to create an additional option for those of us with little ones who may not be old enough to participate in all the "big kid" activities.
It is my sincere hope that, through this group, we will develop strong and lasting friendships for ourselves and our children. I hope that this group will become a true community of un(pre)schoolers. I would like for us to organize weekly play dates, field trips, outings, etc...
If you are new to the idea of unschooling, and would like to see a definition of it, check out this link: http://www.holtgws.com/whatisunschoolin.html
Welcome, and thanks for your interest in this group!
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/novaunpreschoolers/.
- nvamuslimhomeschoolers (NVA Muslim homeschoolers) - Muslim Homeschooling supportgroup for Northern VA and the DC metro area.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nvamuslimhomeschoolers/.
- SankofaHomeschoolCommunity (Sankofa Homeschool Community) - Sankofa is a community of homeschooling families of color who want to grow, learn, and build together, and who are dedicated to creating a rich, supportive homeschool village through a combination of social outlets, field trips, and the sharing of resources.
Sankofa has members in DC, Maryland and VA, and as far north as Baltimore. We are religiously diverse and our members use a variety of homeschooling methods.
Why join Sankofa? Homeschoolers of color need a consistent reference group. Many times our children take classes, meet children, only to never see them again. Often when the season changes our homeschool activities or schedule may change. Through regular participation with the Sankofa Community, children and homeschooling families can look forward to seeing and building relationships with one another, on a consistent basis, no matter their home school path.
Sankofa uses our Yahoo Group listserv as our on-line base of operation, but in most cases, the true power of Sankofa is found in person, in small groups, meeting in people’s homes or sharing resources on a variety of subjects.
There are many different types of homeschooling groups; some whose focus is solely academic, some who are divided by ages groups, while others are little more than e-mail lists that lack the strong bonds of a sustained community, where parents and children really get to know one another and build real friendships. Sankofa believes that we combine the best of both worlds for children of all ages. We hope that through participation in Sankofa, our families will build connections that will last a lifetime.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SankofaHomeschoolCommunity/.
- WaldorfStudyGroup (Waldorf Study Group) - This group is devoted to studying and learning about Waldorf education for the homeschooler and parents in the Washington DC metropolitan area. We hope to read material regarding the concepts, practice, and methodology of Waldorf education, as well as explore the anthroposophical concepts behind it.
This group is open to homeschoolers and parents in our area, is non-denominational, and above all is dedicated to our love and passion for our beautiful children. This group is not meant to be dogmatic, but open and useful to its members who are trying their best to bring a beautiful light and love in their home and the education of their children.
The success of this group depends on the members' effort at keeping up with the readings and discussions. The benefit of continually advancing your knowledge will be evident in the quality and consciousness of your homeschooling and parenting work.
- To Subscribe, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WaldorfStudyGroup/.
Please notify if your email list, support group, message board, forum or newsletter is not included here or if you see errors.
This is an ongoing project - please check back often for updates.